Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Book Update

Okay, I finally finished 3 Cups of Tea. Phew. Finally. I had a hard time with that one, don't really know why. I almost stopped several times, but I kept thinking something else would happen. It didn't. Don't think that I'm just blowing off this Greg Mortenson's life work. He is drawn to a part of the world that I have never had much interest in. He understands their culture better than I could ever hope to. It took till the end of the book for me to really understand that educating the kids in Pakistan and Afgahnistan is the way to avert the terrorist training that is happening over there. I kept thinking, though, "what is keeping the terrorists from taking over one of his schools and making it a madrassa?" I occured to me that they might let him do all the work, then take over and start the indoctrination of little terrorists.
Here is my other thought. After doing a little research about him on the internet, (http://www.gregmortenson.com/welcome.php) I found out that he is gone most of the year either to central Asia, on speaking tours or book signings. When he's home, he's in the basement online, answering emails and on the phone in the middle of the night. He has to sleep at some point. So while he's building schools for kids half way around the world, did he make it to his own childrens' Back to School Night this year? Does he know what book is daughter is currently reading? Does he know the names of his childrens' teachers? Just a thought. I'm not judging him, just asking the question.
Again, I know what he's doing is important. But so is one's own family.
Now on to some lighter reading...Lean Mean 13 by Janet Evanovich, here I come!

No comments: