Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A wake for my printer

Well, not really a wake, more like a ceremonial walk to the garage to put it in the recycle pile. I guess I could say a little prayer as I set it next to the old shoe rack and bag of clothes for AmVets. "Thanks for all the millions of copies you made for me the past 5 years. I'm sorry for all the times I let you run out of ink and paper. You'll be missed. There is an empty space in the office, now that no other printer can fill..." At least until Costco opens at 10:00 and I can get a new one.
I have to say I was suprised that my husband told me to just go get a new one. With electronic purchases, he would usually do his homework and check out Consumer Reports, shop around, get online to look at customer comments, look at the Sunday paper for sales, then double check with Consumer Reports. The only thing he asked this time was if the new printer would take the same ink cartridges. That really threw me for a loop. I was hoping to get a new printer by the end of next month, but he said I should just go to Costco today. Wow, that was easy...what else can I ask him for?!!
I think I stick with HP. The one that just died (sniff) lasted longer than expected. I think I'll call my sister and tell her I put it in my trash bin. Then I'll sit back and listen to her blood pressure rise.

"NO!!! You can't do that! It's toxic! There are places that will take things like that and recycle it!!"
"Yea, but I'd have to drive it across town. Gas prices, you know...do I use the gas to get the printer to the recycle place or dump it in my trash and call it even?"
"Hmmm...you have a point there. Why don't you sell the gas guzzling Durango and get a Toyota Prius, then drive the old printer to the recycler? That would solve all your problems, save you money AND save the planet."

No chance. The Durango stays. The printer goes. But I will wait until my husband's office does their monthly recycle day and send it to work with him. Meanwhile, I'm off to Costco for my shiny new printer!! Don't tell the old one I said that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My blood pressure is just fine thank you! I'm glad you are recycling the printer responsibly. Where is your RSS feed! I need a subscription - now!